Enclosed: insecurity, uncertainty, perceptive thought and pretty objects.

Monday 31 March 2008

Covers

I fully appreciate that the Arctic Monkeys are probably very talented in their own right, but their cover of Girls Aloud's Love Machine is far superior to anything they've done independently, in my opinion. Firstly, it's a great pop song anyway and the twist the Arctic Monkeys give it make it even more infectious than it ever was. So I guess I'm saying, although a great song by Girls Aloud, the Arctic Monkeys perform it better.

In my opinion, this is the case with a number of song covers - as great as a song they may be, the covering of it by another artist produces a much better version. And there are so many examples... Here are my personal favourites, in no particular order.
  1. Nirvana - "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" - originally by Leadbelly
  2. Jeff Buckley - "Hallelujah" - originally by Leonard Cohen
  3. Pixies - "Head On" - originally by Jesus and Mary Chain
  4. Johnny Cash - "Hurt" - originally by Nine Inch Nails
  5. Cat Power - "Sea of Love" - originally by Phil Philips

There was no real point to this post, I was just thinking and wanted to be doing something slightly more productive than watching Facebook for movement and waiting for my washing to dry. Quite an interesting post though, for me at least. I love covers of songs. I'm like a Chan Marshall that can't sing...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pokes! Y'alright? I approve of your cover tracks top 5. Cat Power may very well be the Queen of Covers. Now, i reeeeally need to track down that Girls Aloud cover because i'm imagining it to sound sexy.

Claudy said...

It IS Sexy. I'll email it you! Or something. I'm alright, y'alright? Poke-u-lisation.

Unknown said...

I'm like a Chan Marshall that REALLY can't sing